Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Two Poems...Syllabic Verse...Same topic

Wasted

You died alone by the bar
Jobless, homeless, lifeless you lay
Only the cracking red brick supports you
It is the only thing you have not abandoned

Breathless, and eyes wide open,
Your glazed look in death unchanged
From your glazed look in the life you forgot
To live. You knew you would leave, you knew you would die

That golden liquid you hid
No longer inside, drowning you,
Killing you. Instead it seeps from your pores
The stench distracting middle class men passing by.

You used to be like these men.
Heavy briefcase, red tie, shiny shoes.
But you traded it all in for the booze;
It must have been worth it, to die for addiction

Somewhere you had family,
If only you had remembered
To come home without square pockets one night.
The bottles obvious, despite attempts to lie.

Garbage bags full of these square
Golden bottles fill the closet,
Revealing every cruel word you mumbled
Shattering hope of returning sobriety

Dead, still in front of that bar
Unmissed but still unforgotten
You lie. Begging for undeserved pity
Another beaten dead dad drinks alone.

Maybe someday I’ll miss you
When I am playing with my kids
Wishing they had a grandfather like you
When I was young. But then I’ll remember the truth

And be glad you are still dead.
_________________________________

Loss of the Child

You have killed me
I look you in the eyes
And have no idea what I see
It’s a horrible disguise
But you have nowhere else to flee

I am dead now
Because you left me here
Son of a bitch chose it over me
I have hatred now, not fear
From your golden bottle I’m free

It has killed you
You can’t live on your own
The toxic syrup seeps from your pores
You can’t eat, you are just bones
Your life consists of liquor stores

You are dead now
Lost all your family
Choosing between detox or your car
Your home is now on the streets
A once happy man dies by the bar

Minutes tick by
You are fading too fast
I hate you, your life, your addiction
All I remember is past
Before this, your chosen infliction

Alone we die
You chose your death alone
To escape from the world
Your failures etched now, in stone
Life is gone as daddy’s little girl

1 comment:

fer said...

Wonderful, poignant work, my niece. I am glad that your English classes are giving flight to your emotions. Beautiful verse on an ugly topic.

I love you!