Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Break Up

I am writing this having stolen an idea from a blog post my aunt wrote a very long time ago. The general idea is to write a break up letter to something you need to rid from your life, perhaps an obnoxious toy or a bad idea. Here is my break up letter.

Dear Procrastination,

This break-up has been a long time coming, but I am finally ready to stop wasting my time on you. Your qualities have really pulled me in for years now, but I just can't take it any longer. You cause me too much stress in my life and there are so many other things I need to be doing with my life.

We definitely had our good times. If it were not for you, I would not have learned so much about photography, popular literature, make-up, and how to get my hair to curl with a straightener. At our best we were singing songs, going out with friends, and shopping. But in the end, we resigned ourselves to playing Farmville. While none of these things seem terrible, I neglected my other work. I am tired of being distracted. I am tired of staying up too late to finish work I would have had done a long time ago if it weren’t for you, and because of that I am tired of being tired!

People have been telling me for years that I need to get over you and, while this is not easy for me, I know it is time. I know that they have been right all along. No one really understands pressure until they have had the intimate relationship we shared, for better and worse.

While this may be hard for you too, I know you, when it's do or die, you will finally come to terms with the fact that you must face what you have feared and DO. I know the way you work and I know that you will suffer and contemplate the pain of it all for a very long time before finally realizing it isn't all that bad, but perhaps you should rethink this way of operating. I know I can’t fix you, I can only fix myself which is why I must separate myself from you. I am afraid we can’t even be friends. You will move on and find someone else. I am sure you already have.

I feel that I must be brief and will stop here.
I wish you the best of luck.
Yours no longer,
K

No comments: