Monday, February 21, 2011

A Picture of My Favorite (Recent) Memory

I had to change my post to my favorite recent memory because the pictures of my favorite memory as a kid are in a box in my mom's house somewhere. So here is my favorite recent memory.

It was in Oregon in 2009, visiting my boyfriend for the first time. It was one of last days I would be there before I had to go home. I remember I was starting to not believe that Oregon got a lot of rain because it had been blue skies and sunny the whole week I was there. We had talked all week about going for a hike and that morning it was pouring rain. He kept asking me if I was sure that I wanted to go since it was so wet and gross outside; I kept replying yes, of course I did. I started to think that maybe he didn't want to go. I came to find out that he just couldn't believe I would actually want to hike in that weather. We didn't know that there was a parking lot close to the trail we were hiking so we walked about 7 miles in total for a 2 mile round trip trail! We ran into all kinds of little creatures on the path that probably wouldn't have been out if it wasn't raining. We dumped water bottles on each other and freaked out a little bit because that water was just a little colder than the rain water that had been pelting us all morning. We made it to the top of the extremely muddy trail, back down, and back to his dorm. During this time we learned a lot about each other, not necessarily through what we were talking about but how we handled all of it. I think he learned that I wasn't as much of a wimp as he thought I was. I learned that wanting to have adventures together is very important to me. I learned that a small accomplishment together can be a huge accomplishment for your relationship. This trip really set the tone for the rest of our relationship. We learned to trust each other and just enjoy each other. Let the little things go and believe that you can make it if you want to, rain or shine.

No comments: