Tuesday, August 5, 2008

If Vacation is Heaven, Work is Hell


I got the wonderful opportunity to spend a week in the Rockies with my family. It was amazing to see the dynamics between the family members. As an adult in the family now, I hear and understand a lot more of the quips, fights, and jokes. As with any family there are are issues but watching everyone get along despite our huge differences is great.
Getting away from work was definitely needed. Trading out my computer, desk, and constantly ringing phone for Mountains, lakes, family, a wedding, and lots of trees was perfect.
I was so lucky to get to know my older cousin a little bit better and watch my younger cousins play with anything and everything that seems new to them.
White water rafting, go-kart racing, shopping, hiking, and developing the new family fortune business were just a few of the events that filled my week away. I shut off my phone and closed my eyes to the world at home.

Unfortunatly, I had to return sometime. When I returned to work yesterday, we had three shifts that went uncovered and had to call in other people, one person quit, one person sent home for innapropriate clothing, and no reports done the entire time I was gone. I sent an email to the innappropriate clothing girl and she apparently didn't like the idea that she could not wear whatever clothes she felt like, so she put in her two weeks notice. Another girl thinks that having a job is too much responsibility, so she put in her two weeks notice.

On the bright side, I got a promotion and will not have to deal with this stuff come September when everyone comes back to work.

While I was in the Mountains with my family, my father kept calling my mom and I constantly. Forget that we reminded him that we were roaming and can't afford to talk to him. Forget that we have told him repeatedly that we don't want to talk to him. Forget that he made our live's hell. Let him call anyway. He wants to move back in with us. We can't afford life with him in the house mostly because of the emotional toll he takes on us. I can't have someone that negative in my life right now. I have bigger things to worry about than what he is doing, thinking about doing, buying, wasting away on...you get the picture. This is the guy who didn't get a chance to send my birthday card even though he does not do anything and does not have a job. The same man who screwed up his last chance at a job by not showing up to work and not calling in for two weeks simply because he was constantly hung over. The father who doesn't understand that ignoring his children does not give him the right to be called father. The husband who wants to know how to save the house but won't keep a job to pay for it. The alcoholic that would rather die than put down the tequila bottle. We finally turned off our phones and tried to ignore his existance as much as humanly possible. We have gotten good at this over the last few months. More a fact of life than anything that brings sadness at this point.

Life at home is more complicated, more frustrating, stressful, and distant. But it's better than the alternative. I am glad to be back with my kitten, my new bonsai tree, working out, and large beds.

Can't forget that now I can watch Big Brother uninterrupted!

Loving life no matter what, No regrets, the smallest challenges making me stronger for the biggest ones.

No comments: