Monday, August 18, 2008

It's a great state fair?

I have been wanting to go to the State Fair since it started a couple weeks ago. I have been seeing news casts of the sweet things at the fair. I could cast my kernel for president (two tubs full of corn for either McCain or Obama), watch stupid human tricks, see well trained dogs, watch the Olympics on a big screen, eat fattening fair food, see the biggest hog (over 1200 pounds) and the biggest bull (over 1500 pounds), in addition to lots of horses, an elk, a cow made of butter, and all kinds of random things you can only see at the fair.

After pumping myself up for the fair, I got there, spent money on parking and entrance fees, bought outrageously priced food and drink, could not find the place to cast my kernel, only got a picture of the biggest bull and elk, not of the biggest hog because some little brat would not move, did not find the Olympic Pavilion, the trained dogs were not on until the time I had to leave to be back in time for work, and stupid human tricks was way too late to stay.

I determined that I paid money to enter the fair to spend more money. Truly ridiculous and disappointingly.

I was, however, very grateful for the day in general. My long-time boyfriend and I both went to the fair together and got to spend all the time together mostly making fun of the scary way people dressed, (What Not to Wear, the TLC show, should just set up shop at this fair, they would find material for at least 50,000 shows. I am not exaggerating) , but also looking at the fantastic hot tubs, bikes, home improvement items, petting the goats, sheep, and a baby miniature donkey that was about the cutest thing that exists, and just generally enjoying each other's company.

That night we spent time with some old friends and had a much better time than our usual Saturday nights.

In Other News: I changed vets for my baby kitty, Theodore. I was going to a vet where I live most of the time but did not really like him from the first time I brought my kitten there. He grabbed his scruff and did not really pay attention to the cat, more so to me. I bring my animals to the vet to have them taken care of, not me. So, last week, I took Theodore in for a couple of shots. I asked the vet about how long until I should have him fixed. The vet started feeling around and, obviously, Theodore was not enjoying it, so instead of pulling Theodore back toward him humanely, the vet grabbed his back legs and hung him upside-down. I immediately was appalled at how he was handling my baby. (I also thought of when I was a kid and was dangled over a swimming pool by my back legs by a swimming instructor...quite scary for me and I did not want kitten to be scarred as well!) You do NOT dangle my cat. That is NOT okay. He also did not tell me any of the possible side-effects of the shots or to worry about anything. Needless to say I switched vets. This one is a lot more expensive, but actually cares about the well-being of the patient, more-so than appeasing the owner.

No comments: