Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympic Pride

I have grown up watching the Olympics. I would get to stay up past my bedtime when I was little to watch women's gymnastics. I dreamed that one day I would be there, at the Olympics, right next to the amazing people I saw on TV. Unfortunately a series of strange events, beginning with my only very good gymnastics teachers being arrested for having a meth lab in her house, and ending with multiple hyper extensions of my knees, prevented me from fulfilling this "young girl's" dream.

Now that I am older and have accepted my fate not to become an Olympic gymnast (though I always still watch women's & men's gymnastics) I have changed my sights from the actual sport to what makes the sport important enough to these Olympians to want to pursue it as badly as they do. Mostly, this points me in the direction of family. This year in particular, I have noticed how much the media is covering the Olympic Athletes' background and family. Perhaps it is my change of focus that has made me realize this or maybe the media really is focusing on it more. Either way it amazes me the love and pride that emanates from these families. Michael Phelps' mom just about brought tears to my eyes when she was cheering for her son as he broke the world record. From the look in her eyes, it was obvious she did not care about the medal or whether or not the USA flag would be at the top. She was thinking purely about how important her son and his happiness was to her.

Of course this is just one example of the hundreds of athletes competing. It is absolutely amazing to me the faith these families have in each other. The pride for their sons/daughters/brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles/parents is overwhelming. I realize that I am babbling at this point about the same thing I started with but I can't help it.

It is the background, the upbringing, the family support of each and every one of these athletes that has brought them where they are today. I commend the athletes and I honor their families for sacrificing time, money, and uncountable moments with their family athletes to allow them to be where they are today.

No comments: